New Beginnings in Christ
You have just made the decision to follow Jesus and this will be the defining moment in your life. As a new born Christian there are many things you will need to know and understand. Now is the time to learn about the Savior, to get to know him. I hope the following paragraphs will help you to grow in your faith.
1. You are saved by faith... not by works because you didn't do anything to earn salvation. Simply put, Jesus paid the price for your soul when he poured out his life on the Cross. This is the greatest love ever known. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9).
2. You are not saved because of feelings. Good feelings are nice to have, but feelings alone do not prove that you are saved. Always remember the Christian lives by faith and not by the natural senses. The bible says in 2 Corinthians 5:7, "We live by faith, not by sight."
3. You may experience doubt. One thing very common to the new Christian is for the devil to try and make you doubt your salvation. He will try to make you believe you're not really saved. However, the Word of God promises us, "If you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9).
4. All of your sins are forgiven. Jesus came to suffer and pay the full penalty for your transgressions, or sins. When you repented (turned away) from your sins, and asked Jesus to forgive you and come into your heart, he forgave every sin that you ever committed. In 1 John 1:9 it says, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and cleanse and purify our hearts from all unrighteousness."
5. You're a new creation... The very moment you accepted Jesus, he came into your heart and forgave all your sins and you became a new creation in Christ. His Spirit, presence, and nature now dwells in your heart through faith. (1 Corinthians 6:19). The Word of God says, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold all things are become new," (2 Corinthians 5:17).
6. You now have the promise of eternal life... "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life," (John 3:16).
7. Fulfill all righteousness; You have repented, now be baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus, and be filled with the Holy Spirit.
8. You must continue living for Jesus. Now that you are a brand new Christian, you must continue to live for Christ. Find a good church and attend regularly. Join a prayer and bible study group. It is vital to your Christian growth that you fellowship with other Christians and learn to pray and read your bible daily.
9. Tell others of your new life in Christ. It is so very important to tell others about your new-found salvation. Sharing Jesus with your friends and family will establish your witness and testimony of faith among them. Don't be afraid to acknowledge him before others. In Matthew 10:32-33 Jesus says, "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."
God bless you in your new life in Jesus!